Internet of Things, widely known as IOT is a very well heard name nowadays. Every one must have heard of smart homes where once you enter, lights glow automatically. You place a phone at a particular place, the phone starts charging.
All the things start doing their work as if someone is controlling them. This someone is the Internet of Things.
IOT is basically a group or network of devices connected with each other and share a particular data or information to each other. The devices have inbuilt sensors and actuators which allows them to do so. According to a survey, about thirty billion objects will be connected to the Internet of Things giving it a market value of around 7.1 trillion dollars.
The Internet of Things has a large number of applications in day to day life and also in scientific and medical research. The IOT has applications in almost every aspect of life and it strives to make human life more comfortable and easy. Some of the applications are listed below.
- Agriculture – Agriculture is one of the major reasons why we are alive. We owe our lives to this sector. But unfortunately, in this fast-moving world, this major sector is left far behind its required position from where it should have been. IOT may give some advanced farming and agricultural techniques by providing better machinery and more efficient vehicles which would help the agriculture sector to improve in a better way. Mobile apps could be used to predict the amount of rain or any natural calamity so that farmers could take necessary steps to control the damage.
- Home Automation – As mentioned earlier, smart homes and buildings have come into existence after the invention of IOT. With the use of IOT, we would be able to have close look at the electric and electronic equipment of a building and their life and quality. Moreover, we would be able to monitor various other parameters too. The day is not far when every home will be linked with a centralized monitoring system to keep track of any malicious works.
- Medical and Healthcare – This is also one of the major priorities in human life. With the use of IOT, it will help to get the emergency notification or we can keep track of a patient’s health by simply embedding a small sensor in the body.
- Transportation – The world is growing rapidly thus it requires a great improvement in the transportation system. Recently, the fifth mode of transport (Hyperloop) is under test and its working is greatly influenced by the use of IOT. Moreover, IOT is helping companies to develop automated cars and on-road surveillance to keep an eye on speed and rash driving.
- Consumer appliances – The IOT will dissolve in our lives in such a way that our day to day use appliances like geysers, washing machine, refrigerators, air conditioners, connected car etc which use wifi remote assistance and connectivity. There is a lot more in this list like educational sector, media, manufacturing, environmental monitoring etc which is going to be influenced in a major way by the use of Internet of Things.